Director of Music
We are currently seeking a Director of Music to provide vision and direction to advance the music ministry at CUMC. The Director of Music will lead and engage our congregation in joyful music and worship experiences. This position will also build a spiritual and enriching music program using a broad range of musical styles.
- Strong musical training, preferably with a Degree in Music with a major in Conducting, Voice and/or a related discipline.
- At least several years of experience in choral conducting with instrumental conducting a plus.
- Significant exposure to sacred choral music in a variety of styles, with broader knowledge an asset.
- Self-motivated; able to plan and deliver efficient use of time, especially for rehearsals.
- Communication skills: oral, written and computer
- Music interpretive skills.
- Minimal Keyboard skills.
Time Requirements: This is a Part-time position, averaging 15-20 hours per week, including On-Site:
- Church Services – Sundays 10:00 AM to 1:00 PM, both Summer and Performance season
- Chancel Choir rehearses Thursdays, 7:30 to 9:00 PM (Sept – June)
- Men in Black rehearse 1st & 3rd Thursdays, 9:00 to 9:30 PM (Sept – June)
- Instrumental Ensemble rehearses 2nd and 4th Thursdays, 9:00 to 9:30
Compensation: Competitive with other Director of Music church positions in the Bay Area.
Responsibilities: Oversee all aspects of the congregation’s music ministries to include:
- Direct the Chancel Choir and Men’s Choir for regular 11am Sunday worship service (September through mid-June) with added services at Christmas and Easter. Conduct weekly choir rehearsals on Thursday evenings and before Sunday services when the choir will be performing.
- Work collaboratively with the Pastor, Ministry Staff, and volunteers to plan creative worship experiences for weekly services, special holiday events and special services including the choice of musical selections, sourcing new music as needed.
- Utilize planning calendar with Pastor for hymns and anthems; spearhead special music events.
- Accompanists: Give clear direction and develop strong partnerships – you will be their direct supervisor. Develop their skill and competency where needed. Provide consistent informal and formal performance feedback. Schedule their vacation time.
- Coordinate with and support the volunteer Bell Choir and Instrumental Ensembles. Step in as needed to lead and provide guidance. Seek and support added volunteer music leadership for a return of Children’s and Women’s choirs.
- Administrative tasks necessary to the music program including: working within the budget to buy new music, arrange for tuning of instruments, hire additional musicians for special services or as subs for regular accompanists with check requests for their compensation, and arrange for maintenance of the music library, rehearsal space and related equipment.
- Network with congregation and increase awareness of music programs at CUMC. Strengthen relationships in the music community and celebrate the success of our music ministry.
- Effective time management and organizational skills. Coordinate and accomplish responsibilities within the 15-20 hour work week allocated for the 11am services. Additional hours may be allocated with optional responsibility for the 9am services.
- Give feedback by using open communication and active listening skills.
- Invite feedback when working collaboratively on teams.
- Commit to scheduling needs in accordance with Sunday services, holidays and special events.
- Work within the constraints of fiscal year budgeting for the Music Ministry.
- Be a self-starter and proficient when working independently
To apply, please provide the following information via e-mail to email@example.com
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae or Resume
- E-mail addresses and phone numbers of three references